Full Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of Acorn Influence. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Summer time is the perfect setting for family travel. Say goodbye to school start times and say hello to exploring our beautiful country! Unfortunately, prices for flights for a family of six can eat up a travel budget quickly. We opt to travel the open road to our destination for summer fun.
When you consider what to pack for a road trip, you can be easily overwhelmed. I’m sharing my top essential items I regularly pack to ensure our summer road trip goes off without a hitch.
What To Pack For A Roadtrip:
1. Entertainment – Setting in a car seat for a long period of time can get boring quickly. Packing electronics, travel games, and books or magazines to read will keep minds entertained and keep the kids from fighting.
2. Fuel For Your Belly – Road side convenience stores are expensive and filled with unhealthy snacks. Save money and time by packing snacks along with a small cooler filled with bottled water and drinks. Some of my favorite travel friendly snacks are trail mix (see recipe below), beef jerky, and granola.
3. First Aid Kit – Accidents happen when you least expect it. I just sliced my finger open on my door handle. Not sure exactly how, but it’s a good idea to have first aid supplies in case a situation arises!
4. Emergency Supplies – When your on a road trip, you should anticipate and plan for unexpected events like a mechanical breakdown or bad weather that forces you to stop in desolate areas. My kids always bring pillows and blankets on road trips, they are a great idea in case they are needed to keep warm if the car stops running. Water and snacks are imperative during an emergency as well. Many people have survived a road side emergency because they are prepared! It’s always better to have something you might need, instead of going without because you didn’t think to pack in advance.
5. Toll Money – Certain states, especially Florida have toll roads without an alternate route. Most states require a prepaid toll sensor (SunPass in Florida) or have unmanned toll booths. Fines are steep in excess of $100 for each violation. So, make sure you have change on hand at all times to pay for toll fees.
While I was at Walmart shopping for our road trip essentials, I picked up my family’s favorite trail mix recipe ingredient, Apple Cinnamon Cheerios™! The kids love to pick out Apple Cinnamon Cheerios™ first, in our families favorite road trip snack, Summer Trail Mix! Use this coupon for Cheerios™ to save while you shop and find the trail mix recipe below!
Trail Mix Recipe –
Trail Mix Recipe Ingredients
1 cup Apple Cinnamon Cheerios™
1 cup Frosted Cheerios™
1/4 cup Dark Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup Almonds
1/4 cup Dried Cranberries
1/4 Dried Banana Slices
Combine all ingredients. Store in an air tight container to preserve freshness. Feel free to change up the variety of Cheerios™ in the recipe! Some other choices to include are Honey Nut Cheerios™, Fruity Cheerios™, Multi-Grain Cheerios™, Frosted Cheerios™, Apple Cinnamon Cheerios™, and Chocolate Cheerios™ If traveling in warm weather states, emit the chocolate chips to prevent melting!
Share with me your road trip essentials! Do you have a favorite snack or item you pack to entertain yourself?